Saturday, January 8, 2011

Please Pass The Ibuprofen

We got the keys to our 1953 mostly original mid-century modern home night before last. That first night we went with good intentions (to get started working) but mostly just walked around, poking into every cupboard, drawer and closet bursting out with the occasional "I love my new house!!!" Not much else got done.
Yesterday we had a plan. Get this house prepped for paint. I got the old drapes taken down in living room and dining room. Man, those things were heavy. And faded. And there were a lot of dead flies attached to them. Ick. But down they came and already it is better.
I discovered the accent tiles in the main bathroom shower are super groovy.
Husband found some old linoleum square tile beneath the bright blue (I mean bright cobalt blue) carpet in guest room. We decided to take up old carpet and live with bare floor for a while. Husband found linoleum tiles continued down the hallway to back two bedrooms. May as well tear up faded old green carpet in hall as well. While husband took up carpet, I pulled out carpet staples. Many, many carpet staples. Then he took up the carpet tack strips and we found the old shank nails that were used leaving pretty good sized holes around the perimeter of the room. Off to Lowes for wood putty. Found a good color, and I began to fill the holes. Lots of holes.

Husband got walls repaired and ready for paint. Then he pried me up off the floor where I feared I would be stuck forever. Tomorrow is a new day. More staples. More holes. More new house fun!

3 comments:

  1. Oh if you love fifties art & kitch- you are gonna love my blog.

    marvelousmudwashingmachine.blogspot.com

    Kajsa

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! Can't wait to see what you do with this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay a DIY home improvement blog, laced with Holly humor!!! What could be better?

    ReplyDelete